Skip to main content

What are the best email marketing and newsletter tools for community managers?

Where am I?

In Tribe you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Eddie Reid, Community Manager at BHD

I've been managing communities for the past 5 years and have used many tools. They all have pros and cons in my opinion. 

• Mailchimp: If you're starting out, you can't go wrong with this one. There's a free tier and it grows with you.
  • Sendgrid: Very reliable and easy and similar to mailchimp. I'm not super sure about their automated systems though.
  • Bronto: If you want to get a bit more sophisticated (e.g. run an a/b test with your welcome series to have people go down a different path) but you don't want to spend a ton, Bronto isn't too bad.
  • Mailgun: If you have a developer and want to automatically send emails and spend as little as possible, I really like Mailgun. Send them an API call with all your email content in it, and you're good to go. It's the cheapest but you'll need a developer or you'll have to write the code to deploy it. But, it's really great for automated weekly/monthly newsletters
  • Responsys/ExactTarget/Cheetah: These are your enterprise level programs. Happy to talk about them if you need, but unless you're managing over 1MM in emails, stick with a lower price option.