Search engines, mainly Google, are the first and easiest way for people to find an answer to their questions. So, what you want, as a community moderator, is to provide the answers that Google likes, which is called improving SEO! But how can you do that?
Well, there are some simple tips you can use to improve the quality and the visibility of your contents. Quality of your answers is the main reason for keeping your members happy and motivating more people to join your community. In this article, I am sharing some helpful tips that help you publish the best answers in your community and improve your SEO:
1. Do the keyword search: You need to know what keywords people search a lot on Google. Use those keywords in your question and the answer for getting visible on Google. There is some software you can use to find the valuable keyword and the long tails.
2. Give a brief and a clear answer in the first paragraph: When people search for a question, what they see in Google index is a part of the first paragraph of your answer (first 300 words). People are more likely to open a link with the introduction that gives them what they want. So, forget about starting your answers with a very general, long, and boring introductions. Give people what they want and bring it to the very begging of your content.
3. Know your audience: Sometimes community moderators forget about who their real audiences are. You are writing for PEOPLE, not for Google or some sort of robots. Give a sense of comfort to your writings. Also, remember that not all your audiences have the same level of knowledge. Make your answers understandable for the majority of people. Of course, this factor really depends on your community and your members. For example, in a community for computer programmers, technicality would be the nature of the questions and answers. Therefore, you need to make answers compatible with the type of your community and its members.
4. Your answers should be long enough: Longer answers (article) are more appreciated on Google. Try to write the answers with at least 600 words. But never sacrifice quality for the quantity. If the answer for a question is short, that is fine. Do not extend your answer by mentioning irrelevant stuff in it.
5. Check and edit your answers: Read your answers a couple of times and improve it grammatically. You can use text checking software, like Grammarly, to make sure your text is clear and well written.
6. Use bots to post your answers: You can use bots in your tribe community to post questions and answers. This way, not all the contents are published by one or two community moderators. By posting contents on behalf of bots, you are adding a sense of more activity to your community.
7. Give backlinks to your previous answers: When you are writing an answer for a question, it is a good idea to mention other relevant contents in your community. For example, if you are answering questions regarding how to have a successful community, you may want to mention that you have relevant answers about how to interact with your users as well. Copy the link of relevant contents on your community in your new answer. This way, your members will visit more pages on your community.
These are just a few tips. I will update the answer once something comes up to my mind. Also, you can add your experiences as a comment under this answer or as a separated answer. Good luck :)