Skip to main content
Question
Zapier
Asked a question 12 days ago

So far no luck in setting up a Zap to Create User in my Tribe. I keep getting this error message when I try test-sending my user info to my Tribe: "We had trouble sending your test through. Got 400 calling POST https://community.[mydomain].com/api/v1/users, expected 2xx" Any suggestions?

Where am I?

In Tribe you can ask and answer questions and share your experience with others!

Your community registration is set to invite-only. At the moment, our API does not support the creation of Users while in this mode. You can use Invite Member Action on Zapier to invite the user.

Dinesh Pushparajah Tribe Team
Lynna Sutherland Your community registration is set to invite-only. At the moment, our API does not support the creation of Users while in this mode. You can use Invite Member Action on Zapier to invite the user.
Note: We will be doing quick modification to the API if the authenticated user is ADMIN it will ignore this restriction.
Lynna Sutherland
Dinesh Pushparajah this is a paid community, so I don't want people to join without paying - that's why I set it to "Invite". But I'd like to just add them to the community automatically once they pay. I don't quite understand what you said above about the API ignoring the restriction if the authenticated user is Admin. Is that a change that's coming in the future?
Siavash
Hey Lynna Sutherland , after investigating more we can confirm that the problem is not related to your community being invitation only. It may be related to validating other fields that are passed. (For instance, password is not long enough, or email is already in use, etc.)
While creating the Zap, in the "Send Data" stage, could you please click on "Test and Review" button and paste the response here. This way we'll be able to understand what the problem is.
Lynna Sutherland
Siavash I don't have anything different to report than what I already pasted above: "We had trouble sending your test through. Got 400 calling POST https://community.siblingrelationshiplab.com/api/v1/users, expected 2xx" That's the error message I get when I try to send a test user to the community.
Lynna Sutherland
Dinesh Pushparajah and Siavash , I think I discovered the problem. There's a difficulty with the "username" field. When running a Zap to CREATE a user, one of the fields that is required is "username". Since there is no incoming field for Username from WooCommerce (or my email software if I try that as the trigger) then I was using email address as the username. But I just noticed a small note below the Username field: "Username should start with a letter and only contain letters, numbers and _". So it seems like the only option is to create a username as "[first name]_[lastname]". Hmm.
Siavash
Lynna Sutherland Happy to hear you found the issue. We have not seen this before. It seems that using first name + last name should do the job. The only thing you should keep in mind is that sometimes names have special or non-English characters such as รข, or รง, which are not acceptable as usernames. By any chance, are you able to not pass username at all? That way we'll be able to autogenerate it for you. If that's not possible, I'll take note to make username an optional field for Zapier.
Lynna Sutherland
Siavash WooCommernce does not seem to have a field option for username. Nor does my email software (I tried triggering the Zap when a subscriber was tagged with a particular purchase.) I wonder, though, how this system will change when Tribe is better integrated with WordPress (which looks like it's on the 2020 Roadmap for end of March.) Will they then be able to use one account to access both my WordPress site and my Tribe?
Siavash
Lynna Sutherland That's exactly the case. We'll send users to your WordPress login page and they won't need to have a separate account on Tribe. The goal is to make installing and using this integration as seamless as possible.
Lynna Sutherland
Siavash will I be able to allow some WordPress users to have access to the Tribe and not others?