To create a perfect onboarding experience for your new community members, you can use one or more of the items mentioned below:
1. Use a 3rd party software to add a smart community/product tour. You can create text pointers and video pointers to explain different functionalities and sections of the community across multiple pages.
You can use different products such as Intercom or Stonly,18 based on your budget and needs.
You can use this link74 as a tutorial.
2. Create a topic called "Onboarding" or "Product Tour" or anything else that you want. Add the topic to the left menu on the home page, as explained here65. Then, inside that topic page, create posts related to how to use the community:
3. Post an announcement on the community home page. Add an action button to the announcement that is linked to a topic page in your community. That topic page should include all the posts related to how to use the platform. This is48 how you can post an announcement:
4. Add the link to the onboarding topic page or posts to the top navbar5.
5. Enable the Welcome Email app. Your new community members will receive a welcome email automatically, right after they sign-up and verified their email address. You can put some necessary information/promotions in your welcome email, like the rules and policies of your community, to get your members ready for on-boarding. You can also add a link to the welcome email that directs users to a topic that includes all the onboarding tutorials. You can enable the welcome email app as explained here27.
Looking for a few resources for onboarding? Here are our suggestions:
- How to manage the frequency of the email notifications I receive from a community?3
- How to update my password?1
- When do I receive a notification? 1
More F&Qs are available here7.