Platform

Showcase

Terms of ServicePrivacy Policy

© Copyright 2021, Tribe Community

Back to Support

Taren Cunningham

8 months ago

Webhooks App
  • [SEE ADMIN'S REPLY. THE CORRECT QUESTION SHOULD BE AROUND WEBHOOKS, NOT THE APIs] How are changes in the API (and webhook payloads) being proactively communicated to customers?

Hi Tribe team! @Eli  @CJ Verma As you know, we are using Tribe and heavily rely on the API so we can really customize the experience for our users. The hybrid nature of Tribe as a community management platform is the primary reason we decided to use Tribe over other platforms. 

However, our Dev team is really frustrated with the Tribe API, particularly the out of date API documentation, and breaking changes being released (without any sort of heads-up at all?). 

The Product team is all-in on Tribe, but we don't want to continue to create problems for our dev team, so we have a couple of questions:

• Is the API an area of ongoing development and improvement for the Tribe team? Or is access to the API more of a side-project that we shouldn't expect to get a lot of attention?
      • When I advocated for Tribe it was with the understanding that the API was actually a robust part of the product offering, and if that is not the case we would just appreciate better expectation setting.
    • Is there already a process in place to give API users a heads-up about changes?
      • can we get updated documentation before a change is released?
    • How should we go about reporting inaccuracies in the documentation? Our Dev team has wasted a lot of time trying to follow incorrect documentation and we'd love to help stop this from happening (to us and to others).
    • When a breaking change is introduced, can you provide access to the legacy endpoint/payload etc... for a period of time to allow us to migrate or do proper change?

Thank you for your time!

Siavash

Co-founder at Tribe8 months ago

Hi @Taren Cunningham.

Thank you so much for bringing this to our attention.

On our side, on most of our endpoints we have contract testing that makes sure any changes to our API is backward compatible. ...

See more

@Taren Cunningham I just took a look at your recent support emails and based on what I see, the issues were around the webhooks.

I'm going to follow up with our dev team to make sure we add testing for...

See more

Taren Cunningham

8 months ago

Thanks for your help @Siavash. I have asked someone from our dev team to join this community so they can flag other issues and provide any additional context. 

Is this support community where they...

See more

Julio Nuñez

8 months ago

Hello @Siavash , I am part of the development team, and I can expand on the situation that @Taren Cunningham  mentioned.

The most recent (and current) issue is with the webhooks. We use the ...

See more